Information for the amateur gardener

Asiatic Lily Pearl Jennifer November 26

Pearl Jennifer

The very striking Asiatic Lily Pearl Jennifer is very deserving of its place in our garden.

It was not until I started reading posts from garden bloggers from all over the world that I realised how long it had been since we had any significant amount of Lilies in the garden.  In early Spring of this year we planted Asiatics in the round garden, Orientals going up the garden path, Tree Lilies (Orienpets) in the main border. They developed well, Asiatics flowering July/August, Orientals and Tree Lilies just coming in to flower in the first week of August.   Today we are looking at the Asiatic, Pearl Jennifer and, Pearl Stacey.

Pearl Jennifer was introduced in 2010, bred in the USA by Dr Robert Griesbach.  The flowers with a stunning shade of bright yellow and prominently marked with burgundy spots, will be sure to please all lovers of the Asiatic Lily.

What I really like about this Asiatic is the sideways facing blooms, so many of the Asiatics face upwards.  Planted in the round garden in March, flowers started to open in mid July and continued to flower right through the month of August.  Flowering period may not last so long further south where the temperatures are higher.  The stems are strong, however they were leaning a little forward and I felt more comfortable giving them a bit of support.

Hardiness – Fully hardy

Height – 90/120cm 3 to 4ft

More details on this series of Lilies from my friend The Suburban gardener

Mail Order from HW Hyde

_________________________________________________

The one below planted at the same time is Pearl Stacey.

How do you describe such a colour? outstanding may be sufficient, it is a peachy apricoty soft orange, slightly darker in the centre, no spots on this one. Flowers at the same time as Jennifer and of course bred by the same guy.

I think in the past I did not pay enough attention to the planting instructions for Lilies resulting in success in the first year and decreasing performance in subsequent years. This time I have been more particular, here is planting instructions from H. W. Hyde.

Oriental hybrids and Nepalense need an ericaceous  soil (acidic)

Asiatic hybrid prefer a more alkaline soil (a good quality general garden compost)

Oriental-trumpet and Tree Lilies (orienpets) are not fussy and will grow in either alkaline or acidic soil.  None of them will grow well in clay soil.

Plant your bulbs at least six inches deep with a layer of grit under the bulb to help with drainage.  Feed your bulbs with tomato feed whilst they are growing.

__________________________________________________

I am getting into the habit of having my camera with me wherever I go.  On a trip to Raemoirs Garden Centre back in July I snapped a picture of this perennial which I have never grown before.

Prunella Vulgaris Rose Pearl

The bench was packed with tubs of this plant in full flower. Blooms of a pink purple hue were profuse along with the healthy glossy dark green leaves.

This perennial/herb also known as self heal is a compact plant growing to a height of 6/8 inches. It is said to be fully hardy flowering late Summer through till the Autumn.

The common form Prunella vulgaris is found growing wild throughout the country and was used for healing sores and ulcers.

The next time I spot this one  I don’t think I will be so hesitant to purchase.

Pearl Jennifer

© 2011 – 2013, Alistair. All rights reserved.

1. Janet says:

Lovely lily, Alistair. My favourite is the Nepalese Lily. Beautiful markings!
    Raemoir is one of our stopping points when we visit friends in Moray. They put a lot of thought into how they display their plants and the cafe is pretty hot too.

2. Lily says:

Lovely, lovely lilies. They perform so well in your garden. I never realized up until now that their pedicels are so long, thanks to your fantastic photos, you captured their beauties so well. Thanks for the tip on feeding lilies tomato fert, I will certainly try it. And thanks also for the mention. :)
    Lily recently posted..Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

3. Holleygarden says:

I just love your lilies! I like Jennifer the best, I think – I like the spots! Her yellow is also a beautiful compliment to the purple clematis you have in the background. Thanks for including the soil each type of lily likes. I’ll keep that in mind, as my soil is quite acidic.
    Holleygarden recently posted..Luck of the Draw

4. Alistair my lilies did poorly in our summer drought but perhaps it may also be due to my lack of reading the planting instructions..hmmm…I may need to give them a boost of fertilizer as well…lovely Prunella
    Donna@Gardens Eye View recently posted..Health

5. alberto says:

Wow those lilies are fantastic! I like lilies a lot but they don’t like me :(
    I have a too heavy soil, probably, so they become fussy and snails just have a quick supper on them just as they sprout. The link you put up there, about mail order, is badly tempting.
    alberto recently posted..Garden Bloggers Foliage Day – November 2011

6. Indie says:

Beautiful lilies! I didn’t realize the blooms last so much longer in cooler climates. My lilies last only about two weeks. It’s a spectacular sight, but so short a bloom time!
    Indie recently posted..What Sparrows are Thankful For

7. b-a-g says:

Alistair – Glorious lilies, especially the spotty ones. Your prunella photos looked familiar to me because they reminded me of lamium, my favourite weed which grows in the lawn and the patio gaps. I checked it out and in fact prunella is its larger cousin.
    b-a-g recently posted..Cottage Garden Annuals (20 NOV 2011)

8. It is more common here to see Asiatic lilies in white, pink and deep rose. The Asiatic Lily Pearl Jennifer is a nice change and I love the clear, bight yellow color. I may have to watch for this one, especially since we share a name. Pearl Stacey is pretty too. I am not familiar with Prunella Vulgaris Rose Pearl. Thank you for the introduction. Its flower reminds me a little of lamium. I will have to try to remember it when I order herbs in spring.
    Jennifer@threedogsinagarden recently posted..The Garden in November

9. Jane says:

WOAH there horsey!!! These blooms are just GORRRJUSS! :0)

10. Mark and Gaz says:

A gorgeous variety Alistair! Asiatic lilies are such reliable plants with incredibly showy blooms. Lily beetle is a big problem in our garden though.
    Mark and Gaz recently posted..National Botanic Garden of Belgium – Part II

11. Absolutely stunning your Lilies are! That soft orange is indeed a very beautiful shade of orange.
    Alistair, where do you get all your Asiatic Lilies from?
    Christine @ The Gardening Blog recently posted..Gerbera and friends get potted

12. I tried some blue Asiatic lilies. All this year they have struggled to grow. Shoots appeared, they were eaten. They tried to tough it out. Over and over they tried again, never getting above an inch high, never (clearly!) coming to flower.
    Esther Montgomery recently posted..CAN’T WAIT TILL WEDNESDAY!

13. Donna says:

Pearl Jennifer is a real beauty. I would love to add that lily to my lily bed.
    Donna recently posted..Christmas Tree Farm Fun in the Fields

14. Well the lilies are peerless but I rather fell for your prunella image this time.
    ch@catharinehowardgardens.co.uk recently posted..Choosing plants for a new planting scheme: some handy tips

15. sweetpealou says:

I love lillies but don’t have any so I think I might have to do something about that next year. I’ve got a couple of old zinc baths which thought I might plant up with lillies and place them by the kitchen window so the scent wafts in.
    sweetpealou recently posted..The Yorkshire Sculpture Park

16. Lona says:

Alastair now you are talking about favorites of mine. I keep planting more and more all of the time.I got some good buys this year at fall clearances that I just couldn’t turn down too. I love your Pearl Stacey. The color is amazing and it is hard to describe the hue of it. Lovely. I have never grown prunella either but it would be a welcome addition to my shady flower bed. That is a great color. I always have a camera in my purse. LOL!
    Lona recently posted..Darwin’s Echinacea Sombrero Salsa Red

17. Kevin says:

Wow! Really beautiful blooms — and I have to say that I’m quite jealous that it looks like spring time in your part of the world, while my part of the world is full of barren trees and empty beds.
    Kevin recently posted..Bloomin’ Update 13: A Walk In The Clouds

18. Beautiful lilies Alistair, though for me they are now plants that I will admire from a distance, I am too fed up of the battle with the dreaded lily beetle to persevere! Shame, they are such gorgeous plants.
    Janet/Plantaliscious recently posted..End of Month View November 2011: Dying Well

19. andrea says:

Everything is beautiful if it is in your garden, Alistair. I haven’t found anything below par since i followed your posts. And maybe your photography gives more justice to them too.
    andrea recently posted..Mixed accidental tales

20. Linniew says:

Hi Alistair
    We have prunella wild here. Actually about 25% of my ‘lawn’ is prunella. So I am set if I need healing. It’s a nice little plant for lawn–mixed in with grass and clover. But clover is very entertaining. I always press the 4-leaf ones I find– I put them into books to forget and then come across years later and think, what luck! Of course your lilies are awesome. (I’ve had some difficult lily incidents that I won’t relate here on your nice blog.)
    Linniew recently posted..The tiny brick people are back.